MLA Style Essay Format
If you are writing a paper for an English, liberal arts, or humanities class, then you are going to be expected to present the document in MLA format. MLA, or Modern Language Association, format is the standard essay style of writing that you were most likely brought up writing all of your papers in. This is a simple and easy format to identify and understand. This format of writing is certainly the closest format to writing naturally or instinctively for the majority of students. Below are some of the guidelines for writing in MLA format for your next big essay.
- Paper must be typed on a computer
- Paper must be printed on standard sized paper (8.5 inches by 11 inches)
- Paragraphs must be double-spaced
- Font must be in 12 point font and Times New Roman font style
- There should only be one space after punctuation
- There should be a 1 inch margin around the entire perimeter of the page on every page of the document
- You should indent the first line of each paragraph 1 half inch from the left hand margin
- Your header should number the pages consecutively and be located in the top right corner of every page of the document
- Use italics for the names of longer works, and to show emphasis sparingly
These are some of the most important guidelines for writing papers and essays in MLA format. You will be expected to follow every rule and guideline exactly and perfectly in order to not get points deducted for formatting. This is a relatively simple and straightforward format for people to follow.
How To Format The First Page Of Your Essay
When you are writing a paper in MLA format, you will have to follow the very specific guidelines of the style of writing. When it comes to the first page of your paper, you will have to adhere to the following rules:
- There should not be a title page
- List your name, your instructor’s name, the course title, and the date, in the upper left hand corner
- Double space below the heading and center the title of your paper
- Do not italicize, underline, or quote the title of your paper
- Double space after the title before your first line of text of your essay
- Include a header in the top right corner with your last name and page number for every page of the document
This is how the first page of every MLA document should appear.