Descriptive Essay: Conducting an Analysis
Descriptive essays can be quite fun and interesting to write. They do just as their names suggest: they describe something. However, analytic essays are actually quite different and they serve to analyze something through some method of analysis. The two writing styles are quite different but if the writer is looking to combine these two different types of essays, it can actually be done.
To write a descriptive essay, the writer chooses a topic. They then simply describe it through a variety of writing styles. To perform an analysis is actually quite different. An analysis requires the writer to perform some kind of analysis on a piece of literature. This analysis allows the student or writer to insert their opinion, perspective, and point of view into the essay. There are several steps to performing an adequate analysis:
- Choose a literary work. This is what will be analyzed. Choosing something that has already been analyzed can be a little easier as it will already provide some references for analyzing.
- Read. The writer must read the entire literary work in order to perform and adequate analysis of the literary piece. It is also important to take notes during this reading session. Those notes will come in handy when it is time to start analyzing and writing.
- Choose a thesis. This thesis will stress the main point that the writer is trying to make through their analysis. This thesis is perhaps the most important part of the essay and of the analysis.
- Outline. Draft an outline of the main points to be made during the essay. These points should all support the thesis statement and should all relate back to the same main points.
- Write. Writing is usually the last step in this type of essay writing as the research needs to be performed before any writing can actually take place. This is where the body of the paper should be written.
- Conclude. The conclusion of the essay should also circle back to the thesis statement made earlier in the essay. This conclusion should serve to reinforce the main points of the essay. There should be nothing new in the conclusion. That means that any points made in the conclusion should be just reinforcing ideas already presented in the paper.
- Proofread. Check the paper for any proofreading, editing, spelling or punctuation mistakes!